Without community service, we would not have a strong quality of life.
It’s important to the person who serves as well as the recipient.
It’s the way in which we ourselves grow and develop.”
– Dorothy Height
The Art of Peace is a celebration of our shared wish for a better world. It is an opportunity to look at the things that have been done over the years to help create a more peaceful, just and sustainable world, and to note the things that still need to be done. It’s a time to rededicate our commitment to a more peaceful community and planet.
It is important to recognize and value the contribution that non-government organizations (NGOs) can make in building peace. Peace is about community–about encouraging and helping each other to live better, more fulfilling lives. The Art of Peace is an annual opportunity for NGOs to draw attention to their ongoing peace building and life improving activities.
The work of community NGOs furthers social transformation that enables the development of systems under which social and political equality and economic justice for all can be attained to ensure real and lasting peace and true freedom.
The Art of Peace provides individuals and organizations with opportunities to build peace and a sense of our common humanity through volunteering/service and learning about humanitarian and environmental issues affecting communities close to home and across the world. NGOs can use the Art of Peace to raise awareness of the need for peace locally and around the world and also to celebrate the peace that has been achieved so far.
East Texas NGO and Non-Profit Organizations are invited to plan events which will take place during the Art of Peace. Here are just a few ideas of what might be possible:
• Plan an Awareness Campaign. Let the community know how your organization contributes to a culture of peace and social justice through your ongoing efforts
• Organize a volunteer recruitment drive during the Art of Peace. We hope that the Art of Peace will inspire many citizens to look for ways that they can contribute their time and talent to the common good.
• Highlight the work of your organization and the ways in which people can contribute if they volunteer with you.
• Plan a volunteer and donor appreciation event. The Art of Peace provides a great opportunity to show those who contribute to your organization with their time or finances that you are grateful for all that they do.
• Launch a fundraising event during the Art of Peace.
• Organize educational events around the causes that are at the heart of your organization.
• Plan an NGO Fair to bring together a number of organizations that serve the community.
“Whatever community organization, whether it’s a women’s organization, or fighting for racial justice … you will get satisfaction out of doing something to give back to the community that you never get in any other way.”
– Ruth Bader Ginsburg